Auditioning For Commercials: Tips From An Agency Veteran, with Dave Manganelli
Let’s face it: the audition process can be a frustrating experience for any actor, no matter what their skill level might be.
The big shift towards self-taping & video callbacks have added another layer of potential frustration to the mix. Is it any wonder the whole process can sometimes bring you to tears?!
In this 2-part seminar-and-workshop, Dave will walk you thru the ins and outs of auditioning, including:
– Basic advice for SELF-TAPING (tips on cameras, lighting, audio, etc)
– How AGENCIES develop their CASTING REQUIREMENTS
– How to PREP for a commercial audition
– The one big ADVANTAGE that self-taping gives you
– How AGENCIES AND DIRECTORS actually evaluate your auditions and determine callbacks
– The ONE MAJOR SKILL that all agencies & directors look for in auditions
– How to overcome common AUDITION CHALLENGES
– WHAT NOT TO DO during in-person auditions/callbacks
– ADVICE on how to conduct yourself on-set/on-location WHEN YOU DO BOOK A JOB
– and: AN ACTUAL WORKSHOP SESSION in which you will be run thru some practice auditions in the studio, after which Dave will give you feedback and advice.
This is a very actor-friendly workshop geared to both those new to acting as well as those with experience looking to reboot their approach to auditioning in this crazy new era.
You will be signing up for 2 consecutive Tuesdays.
Your first Tuesday session is a lecture seminar, followed 1 week later with the audition practice workshop.
SIGN UP FOR EITHER OF THESE OFFERINGS:
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 (lecture seminar) AND TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20 (workshop)
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 27 (lecture seminar) AND TUESDAY, MARCH 5 (workshop)
ALL CLASS SESSIONS: 6:00pm to 9:00pm.
HOW TO SIGN UP:
Fee: $200 (includes both the seminar and the workshop the following week).
Maximum size per class is 14 attendees. Must be age 16 or older.
LOCATION: Mosser Casting Studio, Lawrenceville, 3583 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA. 15201
ABOUT DAVE MANGANELLI
Dave Manganelli is a long-time veteran agency producer with nearly 150 TV and radio spots to his credit, including the PA Lottery, Rite Aid, True Value, National Make-A-Wish Foundation, and other. Dave also directed hundreds of scripted corporate projects for Development Dimensions International (DDI), for which he’s won a Gold in The NY Festivals, a Cine Golden Eagle, the John Cleese Comedy Award, a Monitor Award, and others.
He also believes he may be one of only a few who have both directed a project for Mister Rogers AND been a zombie for George Romero.
Always a key creative player in selecting and hiring talent for projects, he’s evaluated literally several thousand auditions over his career, and has seen it all — the good, the bad, and everything in between — and wants to help you cope with the whole crazy process. He loves working with actors, knows how valuable they are in the process, and is thrilled to pass his excellent insights and advice on to you in this fun and informative workshop.
DISCLAIMER: This class is a learning experience. It is not an audition or employment opportunity. Please note that the person teaching this class is not a casting director and is not directly involved with the general casting process at Nancy Mosser Casting.